Superbowl Sunday started with some negative news here on the east coast. Academy award winner Hoffman had died due to a suspected overdose. Hoffman was in detox last year after a heroin relapse following 23 years of sobriety. He was found on Sunday with a needle in his arm. The harsh reality of heroin always seems to come to the forefront when a celebrity overdoses.
The truth though is that Hoffman was a dad of 3 young children. He lived with his long time girlfriend and mother of his children since 1998. That’s the pain. That’s the part of this that hits home for all of us. Take the celebrity out of it, and there are 3 children who won’t have a dad anymore. There is a single mom asking why, why, why.
Details are unclear as to Mr. Hoffmans detox last year, but stories claim he went to detox and returned to work. At Sunrise Detox we advocate strongly for clinical care after detox to deal with the emotional struggles usually associated with heroin addiction. There is no quick fix for opiate use.
While the world will miss a great actor I am thinking of another family destroyed by heroin!